Thursday 9 July 2015

Updating

Last Saturday I decided to restrict my food budget to £1 a day for four weeks to try and sort out some of my excessive food stores.  Yesterday I had my first spending session - £4.02 on fresh salad stuff and some strawberries.  As yet I have only herbs ready in the garden so lettuce, tomato and cucumber were needed. I've got peppers in the fridge and the radishes on sale didn't look very good so they were easy to resist.  That left me with 98p in the kitty to which I have added a further £1 today.

Food store attacks have included some custard which went very nicely with a rhubarb crumble which I had been given, orzo and goats cheese, and some meringues which cried out to be eaten with some strawberries.  

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good plan but my budget has gone haywire with all the busyness and excitement around here lately so I really need to knuckle down and take back control! I don't think that Tesco are being very helpful, either, so I share your disappointment there too. My Aberdeen daughter has a Sainsbury's delivery pass but only orders fortnightly when she is there as she can't use enough for the minimum spend each week - although we are making occasional use of the "free" deliveries whilst she is at home. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You managed to use some of the Orzo you blogged about a while ago. I'm using things up in the cupboards and freezers at present as we are trying to reduce things ready for when the runner and broad beans are ready to freeze. I've already frozen 8lb potatoes because of the scab they had. So no spuds needed for a couple of months!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only ever frozen mashed spuds - largely because preparing mashed potato for one could make me lose the will to live! How have you frozen yours?

      Yes, this was the rest of the packet of orzo. I shan't buy it again.

      Delete
  3. My daughters friend made an orzo risotto that was quite lovely. Your budget seems doable but also fuel to be creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, Sam. I don't need to go on "emergency rations" but I am trying to rationalise the food stores

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a fun challenge! And sounds like you're doing great.

    ReplyDelete