Tuesday 24 February 2015

Put your feet up!

Tesco delivered here today.  Actually Tesco delivers here about three times a month.

It used to be that I didn’t like having my groceries delivered.  I would be missing out on RFQS (Reduced For Quick Sale).  I wouldn’t be able to see the stuff until it was too late.  Delivery charges added to the cost of food.  The minimum order was £40 and that was too much for me.  Waiting in for two hours didn’t suit me.

But I’ve changed my mind.  Firstly I got a year’s delivery charges (midweek) for £30.  A round trip to a supermarket for me is at least eighteen miles so that made sense.  The minimum order dropped to £25 and that’s about right.  The stuff which is delivered to me is always fresh and of good quality and if it’s not I can send it back.  True I miss out on RFQS but I miss out on a whole load of temptation too.  I can compare prices much more easily from the stress-free comfort of my armchair.  I add things to and take things from my list dozens of times before it’s finally ordered.  I have a running total of how much I am spending.


And somebody else carries the whole darn lot into my kitchen so that by 9am today I had got my weekly shop stowed away in freezers and cupboards without any real effort on my part.  And a quick comparison with last year's receipts shows I'm now spending about £30 a month less on food.

8 comments:

  1. I wish we had grocery delivery here. I think a couple of stores might but I am sure it is cost prohibitive. However, I have learned that you can buy groceries on Amazon -- if you want large quantities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get coffee from Amazon because it is sometimes the cheapest place to buy my favourite brand. The range of groceries isn't great on Amazon.co.uk but maybe it's different in USA.

      Delete
  2. I have done a monthly online shop at Sainsbury's for years and years now. It is mostly things that are heavy to carry and also some labels that the kids have struggled to give up. (I'm looking at you Heinz Tomato Ketchup!) Although I get lots of cheap bits and pieces from Aldi I wouldn't give up my online shop. Like you, I compare offers and don't get tempted and if the basket is too expensive, I can just take it out without any unpleasantness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you can you can do lots of comparisons on line, whereas I can't see for looking when searching for things in store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to explore it as wrll. I used for about 18 months after I returned to work with third and loved it. Hubby thought we could do better and he would do more shopping but I think we over spend and too much junk. He has a habit of buying deals with no planning so extra trips are the norm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think on line shopping (once you get used to it) is brilliant for planning. I set up a new basket as soon as I have had a deliver and add items as I remember but then before I finally order I go through it with a fine tooth comb. I get very little waste and top-up shops are a thing of the past. Less visits to the shops means less temptation.

      Delete
  5. Point very well made! Resisting in-store temptations, and no need to wait in line for the till. Saved on gas money (though not Tesco's) and most importantly - TIME!

    ReplyDelete
  6. we don't get grocery store delivery either where we live here in Canada

    ReplyDelete