Monday 23 February 2015

It's how you look at it

Yesterday I had a little smile at a comment Rivulet wrote on my post “It’s tradition, Jim, but not as we know it”.  She’d had a go at making Bubble and Squeak but her husband wouldn’t believe that it was a real name for a meal.  

It got me thinking though.  Bubble and Squeak IS a cool name for a dish, just as she said.  It sounds much more exciting than Refried Leftovers.  Refried Leftovers sounds like a dreary, penny pinching dish. Bubble and Squeak sounds fun.  It’s how you look at it. 

Having lots of bottles marked Basics or Everyday Value doesn’t make a bathroom look like a sanctuary for pampering but decant the products into plain white dispenser bottles with smart labels makes my bathroom into a place of personalised luxury.  It’s how you look at it.

Calling my needle case a hand-me-down would make it a dull, functional item but say it’s a family heirloom makes it into something to be treasured.  It’s how you look at it.


That seems to me to be the way to pursue joyful frugality.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, now what should I call my fridge bottom end of week meals. I know, Remains of the week or perhaps not, maybe Pam's Experimental Recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Bubble and Squeak but I can't get my husband to 'share the vibe'. A shame really.... Jx

    ReplyDelete