Tuesday 16 September 2014

A little treat



My freezer has the most amazing contents and I am beginning to find some of the most amazing.

Last year a friend had a fantastic pumpkin patch.  All the local children had their eyes on Bonnie’s pumpkin patch in the run up to Hallowe’en and they were all disgusted to find that rather than make lanterns she had made plans to eat the precious fruits.  One or two did get rather big and were liberated for carving but Bonnie was determined that she wanted most of the precious bounty to be eaten so she gave me one.  I deseeded it, roasted it, hollowed out the flesh and made apple and pumpkin soup.  But unfortunately I overdid the apples and it wasn’t terribly good.

“Nil desperandum” I thought, and bought a tin of pumpkin.  But that’s all I did.  The soup was in the freezer, the pumpkin in the tin.  Today both emerged.  It still lacked a certain je ne sais quoi.  (Are you impressed with the variety of languages – and I haven’t used Anglo Saxon!)  So off I trotted to the Co-op and came back with a carton of Elmlea.  Much better.

While I was in the Co-op I also saw bread buns reduced from £2 for twelve to just 50p.  So bread bun with the soup, followed by bread bun filled with tomatoes fresh from the garden.  Parfait!

1 comment:

  1. Pumpkin + Cream = amazing soup! I wish i have a garden to grow veggies in.

    ReplyDelete